Membership Categories, POLICIES, Dues & Initiation Fees
Approved by the Council, April 27, 2018
The Council has approved the following membership categories and policies that may be amended from time to time.
1. New membership is limited to persons residing at least a portion of the year in Hancock County, though the council may at its discretion, and for good reason, waive this requirement.
2. Classes of membership include Life (L), Sustaining (SUS), Family (F), Single (SI), Couple Shore (SHC), Single Shore (SHS), Inactive (I), Honorary (H), Family Summer (FS) and Single Summer (SS).
a. Life (L) membership includes all privileges of the club for the member, spouse or domestic partner or a single person, and their children under the age of 35, their grandchildren under the age of 20 all living at the same address, and all guests living under the same roof. Life members are permanent members of the club. A one-time fee of 25 times the annual Family Membership dues applies.
b. Sustaining (SUS) membership includes all privileges of the club for a couple (married or domestic partners) or a single person, and their children under the age of 35, and their grandchildren under the age of 20 all living at the same address, and all guests living under the same roof.
c. Family (F) membership includes all privileges of the club for a couple (married or domestic partners) or a single person, and their children under the age of 30 and their grandchildren under age 20 all living at the same address.
d. Single (SI) membership is available only to a single person without children and may be reviewed by the membership committee annually. The committee has the authority to reclassify members.
e. Couple Shore (SHC) or Single Shore (SHS) membership is intended for those who make no use of the waterfront, who do not own a boat in the waters of Hancock County and who do not often go out on the boats of others. It is a social membership. Reclassification will be considered only for members in good standing for ten (10) continuous years or more.
Single Shore membership is available only to a single person without children.
The membership committee may review both Shore membership categories annually. The committee has the authority to reclassify members.
f. Inactive (I) membership (non-voting) is intended to accommodate members whose circumstances have changed and who will not use the club at all. Inactive status may be reviewed annually, and such members may be reclassified at the discretion of the Membership Committee.
g. Honorary (H) membership is awarded at the discretion of the KYC Council and includes all privileges of the club for the member.
h. Family Summer (FS) and Single Summer (SS) membership are intended to introduce prospective new members to KYC for one (1) season only. A prospective Summer member shall be proposed and seconded per existing membership policies except that only one (1) seconder is required, initially. The Summer member will be admitted to the club at the invitation of the KYC Council and their acceptance will be signified by the payment of the applicable dues (single or family) for that one (1) season. The Summer membership season is defined as starting when the club opens in mid-June and extends through Labor Day. Summer members will enjoy full membership privileges, excluding voting rights.
During or following the season, the Sponsor may propose them for membership according to club policies, which includes one (1) additional seconder’s letter provided to the Membership committee.
i. All prospective new members shall become Summer members, except adult children of a member as described in paragraph 5.
New members applying for membership may apply for applicable Summer membership categories Family Summer (FS) and Single Summer (SS). Legacy applicants should refer to paragraph 5.
3. Divorce or legal separation: Both individuals may continue their membership, or one or both may resign. Membership limits do not apply. If the couple had a Life membership, it is their responsibility to notify the club which person will retain the Life membership.
4. Member Limit: Except as specified by the rules and procedures for application, new members shall not be admitted when membership exceeds 275 members. Inactive and Honorary members shall apply for the purpose of this limit.
5. Legacy: Adult children of a member of at least five years standing, whose Life, Sustaining or Family membership had previously included them, shall be exempt from initiation fees and membership limits when applying for their memberships within one (1) year of lapse of parental coverage. Such adult children need a letter from a sponsor and a completed application to apply for membership. No supporting letters are required. Sponsors should meet the criteria listed hereafter in these policies.
6. Sponsorship/Seconders: Each active member may put forth three (3) candidates for membership each calendar year, be they three (3) sponsors, three (3) seconds or a combination thereof. Sponsors are the liaison between the candidate and the membership committee and are responsible for assembling the membership package that includes the sponsor’s letter, two (2) seconding letters (one (1) required initially for Summer memberships) and a completed membership application. The sponsor is also responsible for ensuring that the applicant(s) are known to members of the membership committee and/or the flag officers.
To qualify as a sponsor or seconder, a member must have a minimum of one (1) year of membership.
A sponsor or seconder should have a social and/or personal relationship with the candidate(s) that enables them to be able to assess their suitability for membership prior to submitting their supporting letter. Members should not propose or second a candidate with whom they have primarily a business relationship. Examples of such a relationship include but are not limited to the following: tenant-landlord, architect-client, real estate agent-client, doctor-patient, and lawyer-client.
Sponsors and seconds may not be close relatives of the candidate or each other.
No officer of the Club or member of the membership committee may sponsor an applicant. No officer of the Club may second an applicant though a member of the membership committee may second an applicant for membership. A list of officers and members of the Membership committee can be found in the annual directory.
7. Resignation: When a member in good standing resigns and within three (3) years applies for re-admission, a letter from a sponsor who is an active club member and a completed application will be submitted to the Membership Committee for their consideration and recommendation to the Council.
8. Re-admittance: In lieu of the full initiation fee, a re-admitted member must pay one half (1⁄2) of the annual membership dues for the appropriate membership category, family or single, times the number of years of lapsed membership, up to three (3) years. After three (3) years, a former member seeking to rejoin the Club will follow the same procedures as other applicants and pay the full current initiation fee. In addition to the fee, the re-admitted member must also pay the full amount of any assessment imposed during their absence from membership.
SCHEDULE OF DUES
Annual Dues are payable by June 1. If not paid by July 1, the member will be assessed a $100 penalty and the member name(s) will be posted in the clubhouse until dues are paid. If not paid by August 1, member(s) will be assessed a second $100 penalty. Any member whose dues are not paid by September 1 shall, subject of review of the Council, be considered to have resigned from the club. Re-admittance is per paragraphs 7 and 8 above.
Candidates accepted in the mid-summer Council meeting will pay one half (1⁄2) of the annual dues for the current year.
All dues categories will be subject to a charge in the event of an assessment.
Membership dues are reevaluated annually based on such factors as the proposed budget, yacht club programs, number of members in each dues category and the cost of living. These factors translate into specific dollar amounts for each membership dues category.
The initiation fee for Club membership is $3,800. A new member has the option and is encouraged to pay the full amount upon election to membership or may pay it over three years at not less than $1,266.66 per year.
Life Membership (L) One-time fee of 25 times the annual Family Membership dues.
Sustaining membership (SUS) Annual dues $1,120.
Family Membership (F) Annual dues $830.
Single Membership (SI) Annual dues $610.
Single Shore Membership (SHS) Annual dues $430.
Couple Shore Membership (SHC) Annual dues $540.
Inactive Membership (I) Annual dues $290.
Family Summer Membership (FS) Annual dues $830. Single Summer Membership (SS) Annual dues $610.